Defined by what you do...
Story told with Rusty's permission
The other day one of my flatmates, Rusty, was checking out the Hong Kong Chamber of Commerce website which listed a bunch of events and business luncheons about different global business topics. He was asking all my other flatmates if they would be interested in going with him, but he was not asking me even though I was sitting beside him. Finally, I asked him if he could send the link to me because the seminars sounded really interesting. He turned to me and asked, with surprise in his voice “Are you interested in this kind of thing?” This question totally threw me, because any of you who know me well know that global business factors and other international issues are the topics that bring me to life, but here one of my flatmates did not know this. I soon realized one of the major reasons Rusty could not guess my true passion is because my current job is not really in line with my interest in international affairs. Don’t get me wrong, working, teaching and leading kids is another area that defines who I am but it is not the complete picture. I guess it is important to remember that there is more to a person than what they do, it is only one piece of the puzzle.
The other day one of my flatmates, Rusty, was checking out the Hong Kong Chamber of Commerce website which listed a bunch of events and business luncheons about different global business topics. He was asking all my other flatmates if they would be interested in going with him, but he was not asking me even though I was sitting beside him. Finally, I asked him if he could send the link to me because the seminars sounded really interesting. He turned to me and asked, with surprise in his voice “Are you interested in this kind of thing?” This question totally threw me, because any of you who know me well know that global business factors and other international issues are the topics that bring me to life, but here one of my flatmates did not know this. I soon realized one of the major reasons Rusty could not guess my true passion is because my current job is not really in line with my interest in international affairs. Don’t get me wrong, working, teaching and leading kids is another area that defines who I am but it is not the complete picture. I guess it is important to remember that there is more to a person than what they do, it is only one piece of the puzzle.

3 Comments:
Thank you for bringing it up, i think this is very important point. Also somthing ot think about - making assumptions based on what u know and think u know. There's always something we dont know about ppl.
Hoping to know u better with time :)
p.s. in Kiev all safe and happy ;)
Hey Nadya!!
I totally agree! I can't wait until we get the chance to get to know each other better :)
To anyone, please correct me when I make wrong assumptions... I have a terrible habit of doing this.
Lizzz ... just wanted to say thanks for keepin on top of your bloggin' and for sharing a part of of adventure with us.
It's still super early, and with time you and others the around you will grow and really get to know each other better!
All the Best!
Post a Comment
<< Home