Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Hong Kong Celebrity

The inspiration for this article came from my boss, he recommend I write something about this phenomenon.

Somehow since I have been here I have seen quite a few Hong Kong celebrities, always when I have been with people who could point them out to me (which makes me wonder how many people I have seen and not even known).

This weekend I had the opportunity to work at a marketing event featuring three Hong Kong B-Level celebrities. They were a former model, a TV actress named Yo Yo and last year’s Mr. Hong Kong winner. Even though these people were not very famous celebrities they still had a team of personal assistants and a contingent of shrieking fans at the event… it was truly a sight to behold. From my perception the reaction of the crowd was similar to how Amber and I reacted to the Backstreet Boys when we were 14 years old… only the celebrities are more like Tara McCool and Dave (from CityTV)… it is a very interesting thing to see.

The other interesting thing about Hong Kong celebrities that I have learned is that they are rarely famous for one thing…usually they are models, TV stars, usually singers, and bigger stars are also in movies. It is not unusual for contest winners, like Mr. Hong Kong, to get involved in all these industries just as a result of winning a pageant.

I think this is another product of the HUGE marketing industry in Hong Kong. Companies seem to have an endless need for famous people to attend their events so that they can ensure a large audience. I have learned that some venues will not even rent their space to companies unless the company can secure A-level celebrities will attend. The owners of the space can make demands like this because space is at such a premium here.

Anyways, I will get some pictures from the event and you can see for yourself. Stay tuned…

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Backstreet Boys,oh for shame...

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home