Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Oh Happy Day

Yesterday was a REALLY REALLY great day in my life, up in the top ranks out of the days of my life.

First, I decided I had to start going to work, regardless of the visa situation, because I was starting to go stir crazy because I did not have enough to do each day; so I went to the office. Here I discovered that World Family is one of the best work environments ever! Next to the University of Calgary and McDonald Wilson of course (I miss all you guys!!). Anyways, my boss, Symone, is great, the big boss of the company is great (he is the one in the ears below : P), my co-workers are VERY helpful and nice, and my desk is really nice… plus they have an espresso machine, and one button push dispenses the perfect shot of Starbucks coffee. Let me tell you, I did not think good coffee would be the thing I would miss, but it is!! It is EXTREMELY hard to find a drinkable, let alone good cup of coffee here! Anyways, back to the point, first impression… this is the best job ever... my first assignment … to re-write the tale of the Frog Prince so that two Hong Kong celebrities and a group of kids can act it out while I am the narrator (and dressed as a princess). Here are some pics of the office: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2103581308

Anyways, after I left work I got a phone call from an AIESECer in Hong Kong named Michelle, a fellow dance buff, recently returned from India, nominated for a scholarship to Oxford, and all-around amazing person. So, back to the point, she had told me earlier about an upcoming show her friend, Kay, is doing for her own fashion line. I guess one of her models has pulled out, and she is looking for a replacement and she thought I would be suitable (I think she must REALLY need someone, because I warned Kay that I am not very tall and not very skinny, especially by Hong Kong standards, but anyways) … so I am going to a photo shoot on Thursday and Friday morning : ) Don’t worry mom… it is legit, and both Kay and Michelle are coming with me so I am not getting into anything weird. You can check out Kay’s clothes at www.kaysroom.com.

Finally, right after talking to Kay and Michelle I got a phone call from Sharon, an AIESECer here that has been VERY helpful in talking with the immigration department for me. And… my visa was FINALLY approved. So we went and picked it up today and tomorrow I am going to go to Macao and come back, to make it valid (and take in the sights). So that is a HUGE weight off my shoulders, I was seriously beginning to wonder if I would have to return home, but now I am not worried : )

Whew…. Sorry that took a lot of words to explain, I don’t mind if you got lost, and stopped reading in the middle, I just wanted to have a clean memory of the happy emotions that were felt on this day : )

2 Comments:

Blogger Blanka said...

Liz,

Glad to hear everything is looking up for you. As you know, I completely sympathize with your visa situation. I finally get to apply tomorrow, so now its a waiting game. Anywho, keep me posted on your adventures.

Blanka

11:51 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wow! Espresso and you get to be a model? Better start practicing your angry pout...

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home