A Week at World Family
Well, today I completed my 7th day on the job at World Family, and in just a week I have done all of the following things:
- Planned an hour long stage show featuring 16 kids and two Hong Kong celebrities (first and only rehearsal is this Thursday AHHHH!!!)
- Planned an arts and crafts activity day for each month next year
- Planned a graduation ceremony (15minute performance)
- Wrote and recorded new lyrics to eight new songs with my boss (my singing skills really need to be improved for this job I think)
- Assisted in three Ving Tsun lessons (a form of Kung Fu)
- Did a 30 minute stage show with my boss and a co-worker for an audience of about 100
- Took a test of the company’s top 40 most popular songs… now I just have to learn the other 160
I think I am going to keep very busy here! But I love the job tasks, and you can’t even imagine the hilarious conversations that go on in the office… the other day there was a panic because we were not sure how the kids could be frogs and princesses at the same time (costuming dilemma). I love the pace of the work, and the fact that things get accomplished so quickly, it is really nice to feel like you have completed stuff you needed to do each day. The job is full of variety and responsibilities that I enjoy, so the time spent at the office just flies… I feel very lucky to have this position.
I do still feel I have a whole other area of interests that are not really a focus in this position. I really do not want to fall out of touch with my interest in international affairs, development issues, environmental issues, and these sorts of things… I am really scared that if I get too wrapped up only in this job (which I have a tendency to do) I will lose touch with this other part of myself, and that scares me. For this reason I asked Nadya if there is something I can be doing more in AIESEC, and she said not right now, but in September when school comes back they will be able to keep me busy too. I really hope this will be the case, because right now I feel like I have a lot of energy that I could be contributing in some positive way, but I am not sure where to direct it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home