Monday, September 25, 2006

"Cairo Colon" Hong Kong style

Well, I have now experienced what my friend Kent calls "Cairo Colon" or "India Intestines". Unfortunately there is nothing in the human digestive system that begins with the letter H, but that does not make the Hong Kong version of this truly awful affliction any less severe.

Bad soya beans was the food that brought me down. Unfortunately I was not at home, but at the Central Library with my roommate Nadya, when my body decided it had to do everything possible to get rid of this food. Basically I could not stand up, I did not want to leave the washroom for anything, and I ended having to make use of a publicly placed garbage can to finally expel the soya beans.

I am very thankful for Nadya who took the decisive action to call the ambulance and get us out of there. I really do not think the library staff would let us leave any other way. We had a nice trip to the Government Hospital in Wan Chai, which we discovered is very nice and all the staff we met spoke English very well. After a five minute consultation with the doctor I was given a bunch of medicine, and an information sheet about Gastroenteritis and sent home.

In the lobby I found Nadya, Martha, Hilton and Rio. We spent a really great calm and quiet afternoon together in the flat, eating Italian cooked pasta, and watching Russel Peters. Right now I feel so truly thankful to have such great friends in Hong Kong : ) I can't even imagine what interns in other countries are going through, where food diseases more detrimental and hospitals are worse; at this time I was truly happy to be in Hong Kong.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~diana~ said...

Good gracious, hope you don't have to go through that again! Yay for friends!

1:08 PM  
Blogger kent said...

Sounds awfully. I'm glad I've never had the Hong Kong Heave.

I think the Cairo Colon has subsided, although who knows what will happen during Ramadan.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Kent, you have a gift, what can I say?!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home