Mid-Autumn Festival
On October 6 all the interns got to see what all the fuss about the Mid-Autumn Festival was about! This event celebrates the full moon at the end of September or early October (it changes each year depending on the moon cycles). It is to
We celebrated by meeting in Causeway Bay’s Victoria Park. Here there was a HUGE display of glowing lanterns, a Cantonese opera performance, and a dragon dance. The Dragon dance was quite different from the ones I have seen at home and in pictures. At this one the people were not wearing a dragon costume they were just holding a large dragon up on sticks and the dragon was made entirely of burning incense. Actually I could not really see the dragon because of the crowd, but I could sure smell when it went by.
The best part of the evening was when our group joined thousands of families in sitting on the grass of the park. Here we unwrapped our mooncakes that we each brought. We passed them around our circle and tasted the different flavours. For the most part we did not really enjoy the traditionally flavoured ones, and preferred the newer versions of the cake, but it was a fun experience. A kid from the family sitting next to us kindly donated about 30 glow sticks to us so we had fun with those. It was REALLY a beautiful sight seeing all these people out picnicking on the grass in the middle of the night watching the huge full moon. I love this festival.
Check out the pics:

More pics here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2100809364
We celebrated by meeting in Causeway Bay’s Victoria Park. Here there was a HUGE display of glowing lanterns, a Cantonese opera performance, and a dragon dance. The Dragon dance was quite different from the ones I have seen at home and in pictures. At this one the people were not wearing a dragon costume they were just holding a large dragon up on sticks and the dragon was made entirely of burning incense. Actually I could not really see the dragon because of the crowd, but I could sure smell when it went by.
The best part of the evening was when our group joined thousands of families in sitting on the grass of the park. Here we unwrapped our mooncakes that we each brought. We passed them around our circle and tasted the different flavours. For the most part we did not really enjoy the traditionally flavoured ones, and preferred the newer versions of the cake, but it was a fun experience. A kid from the family sitting next to us kindly donated about 30 glow sticks to us so we had fun with those. It was REALLY a beautiful sight seeing all these people out picnicking on the grass in the middle of the night watching the huge full moon. I love this festival.
Check out the pics:

More pics here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2100809364

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home