Baby Steps
Step 1 – Made the goal - “To develop a system to support Corporate Social Responsibility programs in World Family that is sustainable in the long-term”
Step 2 – Attended the training on CSR offered by CSR Asia that was designed to help newly forming CSR departments take the first steps. The training was helpful, but it made me realize that the steps they were referring to were still a bit in the future for World Family. The seminar (and my mom) really showed me that I need to prepare a business case to convince the managers of the company of the business and societal importance of adopting CSR practices.
Step 3 – Began brainstorming for the business plan. I decided it would have to include a definition of CSR, as well as statistics and facts showing the market, company and global realities that make it necessary for the company to adopt these practices. It will also need a summary of the things the company is already doing, and some steps that the company can take to go forward. Finally I want it to end with at least three alternative action plans for implementing CSR in the company (I have only thought of one way so far… still thinking). I also want to propose a timeline, but that is not even in the thinking stages yet.
Step 4 – I realized part way through developing the business plan that I probably do not know the things that have been done in the past other than what I can observe. So I developed a survey for people within the office to find out what they know about CSR.
Step 5 - Today I showed the beginning of my plans and the survey to one of the bosses in our department, because I really need some more support and guidance to go forward with this. I think he will be a great help, but I am really worried that this is not a priority for him and that he has other pressures on his mind right now.
Tomorrow is Friday, what do I want to accomplish by the end of the week?
- I want to verify the contents of the short survey with my boss, and then start distributing it to the people in the office that we decided today should receive it.
I want to continue my market research and find/read and summarize at least three more documents with supporting statistics and facts about CSR in Hong Kong.
I think that is enough for tomorrow.
I am scared that I do not have anyone to keep me accountable to following through with this except for myself. I know I have the passion, but I am also scared that my ideas could get off track and I have no one to keep them in check. I guess this is a good test, but sometimes when I think about it I feel a little nauseous.
I need a mentor, if anyone knows anyone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home