Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Part 2: Manilla

On Thursday afternoon we arrived in Manila and were met immediately outside the airport by Erwin’s uncles, Toto, and BomBoy. The first stop on our Manila tour was to visit the resting place of Erwin’s Nanay, who passed away from lung cancer while he was in Calgary. After a brief visit there we got back on the road to go to the house where Erwin grew up. The house is in Parenaque city which is very close to the airport.

My first impression was that Manila is a very colourful city, all the signs, lampposts everything are painted in loud colours, there were banners and Christmas decorations everywhere, and all the tricycles and jeepneys (privately owned vehicles that are used for public transportation) are outlandishly decorated with paints, stickers, lights, and are blasting music, it was pretty cool. Later I learned the reason things are particularly colourful right now is because there is an election coming up; so all the politicians are trying to do very visible public projects (like putting up street lamps, and repainting buildings) and then painting their names all over them as a method of campaigning.

Manila Jeepney



Manila Tricycle

Erwin’s childhood home is a bungalow nestled in amongst many very tall houses and very cool trees (three mango trees, and a calamansi bush!). Both he and his uncles said the neighborhood has really changed in the past few years, and really grown, it used to be much emptier. There were a lot of dogs at the house, for security and because his uncles really like the pets. There was one little puppy running around that was so cute. While we were there we drank coke, and I looked at pictures on the wall and in albums of Erwin and his whole family while they were in the Philippines. After taking some quick pictures we left to go see Erwin’s high school.



Erwin, his Uncle Toto and Puppy at his childhood home

It was really nice to see Erwin’s high school, because he talks about his experiences there ALL the TIME! It is nice to finally have a context for the all the stories. He says the building has improved a lot since he was there; there is a new wing of the school and real windows now. We started our visit in the church that is attached to the school (another shock, Philippines is definitely not a secular society, the influence of the church is very apparent everywhere). The church was very nice, and I got to make a wish since it was my first time there. Afterwards we signed in at the security desk and went into the school. There were lots of young boys running around in the uniforms I have heard so much about. We stopped at the teachers’ lounge where Erwin met a bunch of his teachers from his days at the school. It was REALLY great to see them reminisce (and try to remember each other’s names)… truly a moment to remember forever.


Erwin and a lot of his teachers at his high school

Afterwards we went to the Mall of Asia, which apparently is the largest mall in Asia. From the part that I saw it was really, really nice, sort of like a tropical, outdoor, version of Chinook Centre. At first I thought we were crazy to be in this brand new city and visiting a mall of all places, but Erwin explained to me that malls in the Philippines are very special because he feels it is one of the only places where, no matter what your income level, you can spend a nice day with your friends, people watching, catching up on the latest trends and everything, which is pretty special to have this type of place that is free for all. Anyways, we went for dinner at an upscale Filipino diner called Max’s. Unfortunately about this time the effects of the lunch yesterday hit me with full force. Luckily we made it to the end of dinner, and outside the mall before the true scene took place. Anyways, needless to say, I don’t think Erwin’s uncles will ever forget the first day they met me.

Erwin and his Uncles, BomBoy and Toto in Max's Diner at the Mall of Asia

Well, our Manila tour was supposed to continue with a visit to the seaside and to see Erwin’s Grandma on his Dad’s side. Unfortunately by this time both Erwin and I were pretty sick, so we cut the visits short and his uncles drove us to Erwin’s cousin Ann’s house. On the way we stopped a got a smelly liquid called “White Flower” (which is made of Menthol and eucalyptus) we put this stuff under our noses and on our temples and it actually really helped us to feel better. We were driving to Ann’s house, on the other side of Manila, in rush hour, so it took us 3 hours to get there! I was asleep the whole time, but Erwin said the traffic was really, really bad.

Seeing Ann again was wonderful! The last time we saw each other was when she was in Calgary last year. After all these adventures it was so nice to see a familiar face and have a nice place to stay for a night. Ann lives with her sister Grace, who I met for the first time, and Jean who helps them around the house. Their place it clean and tidy and in a nice neighborhood. Both Ann and Grace have good jobs that have allowed them to save up and travel together. I really love spending time with them, they are so nice and friendly and easy to talk to. Ann is coming to visit Hong Kong for Chinese New Year (same time as D and Serge!) so that is going to be great! After unpacking and sitting for a moment Ann, Grace, Erwin and I headed to Starbucks. I have to admit, this experience changed my view of multinationals a little bit; in that moment I was pretty happy to walk into a place that looks exactly the same in Manila as it does in Calgary, and Hong Kong and anywhere. We took our cups back to Ann and Grace’s house and had a nice conversation while sipping peppermint tea; the ultimate relief for an upset stomach.

The next day Erwin and I slept almost the ENTIRE day, well, and watched a few final Pinoy music videos. Ann came home from work early to drive us to the airport, which was really nice. Again, we had to travel across Manila, which took about two hours. The traffic was pretty bad, because people do not use lanes, but at least everyone on our side of the road was going in the same direction, unlike the stories you hear of traffic in China. This time I was awake for the trip. It was fun to hear Ann and Erwin reminisce, even though I could not understand them. I amused myself by taking in Manila from behind a tinted window, which is not a bad way to first see a new city. All I know is this is definitely a place I would like to go back to. From what I could see, the city looks like a lively place full of extremes and a lot of smiling, talkative, people.

At the airport Erwin and I said good-bye to Ann; but we both know it is just a short good-bye. She will be coming to Hong Kong soon, then Erwin plans to go back to Manila when he graduates, and Ann has applied to move to Canada, and her application should be processed within the next couple years. Anyways, shortly after, Erwin and I boarded the plane like pros, knowing exactly what to do. Within two hours we landed in the nice, air conditioned, Hong Kong airport, land of clean washroom (with toilet paper) and garbage cans. That was Friday night.

Erwin left Saturday morning, after a very tearful good-bye. It was very hard to see him go. During, our two week adventure together in Hong Kong and the Philippines we definitely learned a lot more about each other, maybe even more than we learned during our first six months we were together, and our relationship feels stronger than it ever was before. It was hard to say good-bye, but I am confident that these next six months will go easily and that we will come out together on the other side. I can’t wait for the day where we get to explore more, and discover more about ourselves and the world together.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~diana~ said...

Great! We'll have to hit up the Philippines during our South Asia tour and you'll be able to guide me! Yippee!!!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home